This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Ava Privet, a sharpshooter out of the 2023 class. Ava is from Caledonia High School (MN), who played club hoops with Wisconsin Playmakers and recently committed to Upper Iowa University. Thanks for your time Ava!
1. We'll start with the news, congrats on your verbal to Upper Iowa! When it came time for your decision, what were some of the biggest factors in choosing to attend Upper Iowa and play for Coach Maass?
Thank you! Some of the biggest factors were the people. Coach Maass believed in me right away and I liked the style of play he described to me. The campus was very nice and everyone was super welcoming. It also has my major and is close to home!
2. With your college decision now made, you can fully focus on the upcoming season at Caledonia. As you head into your Senior campaign, what are some things Caledonia has to do to build on last years 17 win total, and what are some of your personal goals as well for 2022-23?
I'm very excited for my last season at Caledonia. The chemistry with our team is amazing and we've been playing together for a long time. I think one of the main things is believing in ourselves and just focusing on playing our game. We're hoping to make this season one to remember!
3. You were a member of Wisconsin Playmakers for club hoops, a team which had a lot of college talent emerging from it. What were some of your favorite memories with your teammates last season, as well as some of your favorite memories from your career in club hoops?
I have so many memories from club ball. Not only was the basketball-side super fun: playing in intense games, practices, etc. But I will mostly remember the people. Doing fun things as a team like going out to eat, movies, or just hangin in a hotel room. But, rides to practice with teammates and hanging out in our down-time will always be my favorite.
4. Who were some of the key people that helped you navigate the recruiting process, and what advice would you give to other players who may be in the early stages of their own recruiting?
So many people to mention. Kris Becker, my AAU coach for so many years, he always believed in me. Coach Pep, a huge part of my process, she was amazing and helped out a ton. Coach King, Coach Sorenson, my parents, and my teammates. Advice that I would give would always believe in yourself and trust the process. Everyone has a different story so have patience and don't compare yourself to others!
5. For the first time in several years, you will have a break where you would normally have club hoops season. What are some of the things you want to do, or places you want to go, after you finish High School at Caledonia but before you head off to college?
I am looking forward to the free time haha. My family hasn't been able to take a vacation together in a long time so hopefully we'll be able to do that! I'm excited to be able to hangout with my friends before I head off to college.
1.Toughest player you've had to defend: Sole Williams, Louisville commit
2.Favorite visiting High School gym to play at: Rushford-Peterson's, that school is crazy nice
3.Favorite city you've traveled to for a basketball game or event: Chicago
4.Go-to hype song: Tough one, but family ties: Baby Keem
5.Favorite Ice Cream flavor: Cookie Dough
6.Favorite professional athlete: Hard to choose, but Kobe
7.Favorite restaurant: Anything Mexican
8.Favorite Social Media: Snapchat or Tik Tok
9.Funniest teammate: School ball: Isabelle Schultz
AAU: Brittney Mislivecek
10.Favorite sports movie: Remember the Titans