This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with 2024 Savannah Hedin. Savannah is a key piece in a strong Stewartville High School (MN) lineup and plays club hoops with So-Minn Fury. Thanks for your time Savannah!
1. You got off to a quick start with a pair of wins at Fall League at Stewartville, congrats on the early success! As you head into the 2022-23 season what are some of your team and individual goals at Stewartville, coming off last season's 19 win performance?
As I am heading into my 2022-23 season some of my team goals are to work together as a family and make our way to state. We are a very tight-knit group so I think we will go very far together. An individual goal I have is to improve my ball handling and to get my mid-range jump shot off much faster.
2. How are things going on the recruiting front as you've just entered your Junior year, and what are some of the things you'll be looking for at a school both academically and on the court?
So far I have had some schools reach out to me and have begun the recruiting process. What I am looking for when it comes to academics is to pursue something in the healthcare field. Something I will be looking for on the court is a team with a fast-paced offense and an aggressive transition game. My number one focus always is defense.
3. You are a multi-sport athlete who's enjoy success across the board at Stewartville. What do you feel are the benefits of being both in basketball and softball, and do you ever have any time constraints in the spring with both softball and club basketball?
For sports at Stewartville, I play basketball, softball, and soccer. A benefit I find in being in all three sports is I am constantly being active and while I am in one sport I am training and staying in shape for the next sport that comes up. Being active is overall just very fun and a great way to stay in shape. My priority is always the high school sport that I am in, but I play basketball all year round. In the Spring I do miss some AAU tournaments or practice days when there is a conflict with softball.
4. When you take a look at your own game, what do you feel are 3-4 of your strengths, either basketball skills or intangibles, and what is the area of your game you're currently working hard on to build into an additional strength?
When I am looking at my own game 3-4 of my strengths would be my ability to drive to the rim and finish with contact, my rebounding, my three-point shot, and my ability to finish my floater. An area that I am working hard to build on is my mid-range jumper and being able to get it off very quickly. Ball handling is also something I am constantly working on to improve.
5. When you have free time, what are some of your favorite activities away from the court/field?
When I have free time some of my favorite activities are hanging out with my family, going shopping, or just staying in and watching movies. I have had my license for almost a year now so I really like driving around with my friends.
1. Best player you've played against: Natalie Bremer
2. Do you have any nicknames: My teammates will sometimes call me Sav
3. Favorite Class: Anatomy
4. Favorite Game Day Habit: Hangout with my teammates
5. Favorite TV Show: Outer Banks
6. Cats or Dogs: Dogs
7. Favorite board game: Clue
8. Favorite type of weather: Sunny and warm
9. Biggest role model: Steph Curry or Paige Bueckers
10. Last Google search: Amazon