This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Reagan Briggs, a scholarship talent in the 2024 class who plays at Verona Area High School (WI) and with Wisconsin Flight Elite. Thanks for your time Reagan!
1. You recently had a visit to Maryville, including an offer. How was the visit and what are some of the things you'll be looking for in a school and basketball program as you continue in your recruiting?
My visit to Maryville was great! I really liked the campus and the coaches and players. I had time to talk with the players alone with my parents and I asked them what they liked and disliked and it was great to hear from the player’s perspective. They also asked me what I was looking for and I told them that the culture is really important to me. My coaches and teammates will be like my family for the next four years so I want to make sure that I love the team culture. Also Maryville has a Starbucks on campus that you can use with your meal plan so that gave them bonus points!
2. I saw on your Twitter feed you were recently inducted into the National Honor Society. What does that honor mean to you, and what role does your education play in your life?
Education is huge for me. My parents are both educators so I basically grew up in schools. I know that some day basketball will be over for me so I want to make sure my education sets me up to be successful in life. I love that the National Honor Society promotes community service. I want to help out in my community and also learn more. I am undecided what i want to major in. I’m leaning toward something in the medical field like maybe sports medicine but I’m not sure yet.
3. Verona Area is one of the strongest teams returning in Division 1. What are some of your team goals for this season, and how do you see yourself impacting the team as one of the top returners on this years team?
Our team goal is a state championship! We made it to state my freshman year and we had four freshman four sophomores on the team that year. This year I’m a junior so we have lots of juniors and seniors on our team and we think it’s our time. But we know that we have to work really hard to teach our goals. We train together, go put up extra shots, work out in the weight room, and we hang out together cause we all really like each other. We’ve been playing together for so long that we are like family. This year I am a junior so now I see my role as being more of a leader on and off the court. I have to always be talking on the court and I am also a hype girl! I will give someone a chest bump after an and one or jump and yell when something good happens.
4. You play club basketball with Wisconsin Flight Elite EYBL. What were some of your favorite memories from last season, and what are your expectations heading into the spring of 2023?
Nike Nationals was my favorite memory. It felt like we got to share that experience with the WNBA because it was All Star weekend. We went to some WNBA events and had a private concert with Chance the Rapper. I had mono last July so I didn’t get to participate in all the July events so I loved every tournament we went to this July! Our last two tournaments we played up in the 17u divisions and played some really tough teams, including All Iowa Attack who we played super close down to the last couple minutes of the game. It let us know that we have high expectations for next year and we all want to put in all the work to get better and win Nationals in 2023!
5. If you could go back and talk to yourself in 2017 what advice would you have for the younger version of yourself that you know would help you in the years ahead?
I would tell myself to just enjoy the game. Sometimes recruitment can get stressful and it’s easy to compare yourself to others but when you just go out and play your game and have fun, you end up playing your best basketball.
1. Toughest player you've had to defend: KK Arnold
2. Favorite Class: Math or Science classes
3. Toughest Class: AP Physics
4. Person you text the most: Aidyn or my mom
5. Last Google search: Amazon
6. Favorite Disney character: excited to see the new Little Mermaid
7. Name of favorite High School play: Hamilton
8. Go-to hype song: anything Rod Wave
9. Favorite Social Media: Tiktok
10. Biggest phobia: I don’t think I have one