This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Maddie Rasmussen. The highly regarded 2025 hails from Oshkosh West High School (WI) and is a member of Wisconsin Flight Elite. Thanks for your time Maddie!
1. As you head into your Sophomore season at Oshkosh West how do you see your role expanding this year, and what have you set for some of your personal goals as well as team goals in 2022-23?
I have many goals for this season! Some of my personal goals are to get back to playing with my teammates, shoot 80% or higher from the free throw line, and be a vocal leader. I also want to utilizing my skillset to help my team be a contender in the Fox Valley Association.
2. I noticed you carry a 4.0 GPA. Looking ahead a bit, how heavily will the educational component of a school factor in to your recruiting, and what would you like to find in a school and also their basketball program?
For me, the schooling component for recruiting is huge. I want to not only have fun on the basketball court, but also get a very good education. I would like to find a school that has an amazing program and something that feels like home. I want the environment and program to feel like a family!
3. You are part of the Wisconsin Flight Elite program, one of the best in the region. Unfortunately you missed this summer, as you look ahead to next season, what are you looking forward to in the spring and summer of 2023?
I am just looking forward to get back to playing with my Flight family! I am looking forward to traveling as well and creating more memories!
4. If you took an analytical view of your own game, what do you feel are your biggest strengths currently and what is something you're currently working hard at to build into another area of strength?
I feel some of my biggest strengths are passing and shooting/attacking. During my time off, I have been working a lot on moves around the rim and incorporating more mid range shots into my game!
5. Who do you consider to be some of your role models, and what are some of the traits you would like to possess that each of them have?
Kobe Bryant and Giannis Antetokounmpo are my main role models in my basketball career. Kobe’s no excuses mentality (which really helped me this past summer) and determination really set him apart from other players. As for Giannis, his humbleness
1. Best rebounder you've ever played with: Megan Johnson- Wisconsin Flight Elite teammate
2. Favorite place you've traveled to for basketball game or event: Spooky Nook, Pennsylvania
3. Favorite Ice Cream flavor: Cookie Dough
4. Favorite music genre: Rap
5. Go-to hype song: Family Ties by Baby Keem ft Kendrick Lamar
6. Last thing you lost: My airpods (again)
7. Favorite Social Media: Snapchat
8. Favorite Netflix series: Stranger Things
9. Nickname: Mads or Maddog
10. Favorite spot to shoot from: Anywhere on the wings