This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Jayden Wiest, a talented multi-sport 2024 out of Mandan High School (ND) who also plays club hoops with ND Attack. Thanks for your time Jayden!
1. You're a multi-sport athlete at Mandan, including currently being involved in the Volleyball season. How is the season going so far, and what do you feel are some of the advantages of playing multiple sports at the High School level?
Volleyball is going well. We have a team that didn’t return a lot of experience, but we are improving everyday and working to get better! I am playing a new position as varsity libero. Some advantages are getting to work with different coaches and teammates.
2. As you head into your Junior season at Mandan, what are some of your individual goals and expectations, and what are some of your team goals as well for the 2022-23 season?
My team goal is we want to finish top four in the WDA and advance to the state tournament! Some of my individual goals is to be a top point guard and defender in state. My goal is to make all-conference and all-state.
3. You will be playing your final season of club basketball next season with ND Attack. As you look back at several years of club hoops & youth hoops, what have been some of your favorite memories, and what will you be striving for during the 2023 season?
I really enjoyed the group of girls I’ve been able to play with the past four summers. I’ve enjoyed the success our team has had and how competitive my team is. We are looking forward to playing in a couple of different tournaments this summer. We are striving to end the summer strong.
4. What would you consider some of your biggest strengths as a basketball player, could be on-court skills or intangibles, and what is the area of your game you're building now to turn it into a strength?
I have a strong basketball IQ and I have worked extremely hard to improve my ball handling skills. I think my speed and quickness is an asset on the court. I’m working on improving a step back shot.
5. I know you're involved in multiple sports, but have you made a decision which one you would like to pursue at the college level, and who are some of the people you are working with the closest to get quality advice during the recruiting process?
I would enjoy playing college basketball. My high school Coach Shaun Henderson has helped me out.
1.Toughest player you've had to defend: Jaden Baker
2.Favorite visiting High School gym to play at: Legacy
3.Go-to hype song: Lose Yourself
4.Favorite type of weather: Summertime
6.Dream Vacation: Bahamas
7.Favorite place you've traveled to for a basketball game or event: Iowa
8.More fun, volleyball block or basketball block: basketball block
9.Funniest teammate: Emma Bogner
10.Favorite Class: PE