This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Cecelia McNair, one of the top 2024 post prospects in Minnesota out of Prior Lake High School and club program Minnesota Stars 2024 Bjorgaard. Thanks for your time CeCe!
1. You had a strong spring and summer, and that has led to some college doors opening. As you head into your Junior season, what are some of the things you'll look for in a school and basketball program in the recruiting process?
I look for a school that focuses on my academics as well as my athletics. I want a school that has the same morals as me and a program that is hardworking and eager to win. I want to be able to do well on and off the court and surround myself with people that build me up.
2. Prior Lake is returning a lot of talent back from last seasons team. As you head into the 2022-23 season, what are some of your goals and expectations, not just for the team, but for yourself as well?
One of my biggest goals for our program is making it to state and even winning it. I feel like we have so much talent and we haven’t reached our full potential yet and I am hoping we can do so this year. We are a young team with so much talent and hopefully we can prove to everyone this year what we can do.
Personally I want to focus this year on making my teammates better and doing anything I can to help get us to state. I also want to contribute more on different stats in the game rather than just scoring.
3. As you look back on 2022, as well as ahead to 2023 with Minnesota Stars, what are some things you really felt you accomplished last season, and what are some things you're looking forward to next season, both in terms of basketball growth, and the time off the court traveling and with teammates?
Last year our stars team got third in state which was huge for us and I am so proud that we got to that point. I think how tight our bond was off the court definitely benefited us on the court and allowed us to play together and have more trust in each other. Next year I am looking forward to making another run in state and hopefully adidas nationals. I am also just looking forward to enjoying my last aau season and spending it with my teammates and focusing on having fun and making the most out of our last season.
4. You have your Hudl link attached to your Twitter handle. (I will include that link when this posts as well) What are some ways you utilize your Social Media feeds to let coaches know about yourself and your abilities?
I think especially with COVID, it was hard for coaches to see me and my age group play that year so I started using social media to try and get coaches attention. I think it’s a great way to be creative and connect with coaches and allow them to see your abilities. It’s a very easy way to learn more about a school and it allows them to understand what kind of basketball player you are.
5. As a post you are constantly working on two facets of your game: developing interior skills and perimeter or free throw line area as well. What do you feel are your biggest strengths right now as a player, and what is the next skill you hope to build into a strength in your game?
I think my biggest strengths right now as a post player is definitely my back to the basket game and my ability to read the floor. I feel like as a post it’s important to be a good passer and I try my best to be able to see the floor and get my teammates open. I also love the two man game and I love screens and playing off of them which is definitely one of my strengths. I also take pride in my defense and being able to defend posts and my ability to rebound and get position. I am trying to expand my game more and focus more on my mid range and playing off the bounce outside the paint this season. I want to become more of a threat outside the three point line as-well.
1. Toughest opposing post you've had to defend: Sophie Hart
2. Favorite visiting High School gym to play at: Wayzata and Minnehaha Academy
3. Favorite board game: Clue
4. Go-to hype song: Draco - Future
5. Item you are constantly losing: My Keys
6. Nicknames: CeCe, 3C, sea sea
7. Do you prefer driving or flying: flying 100%
8. Favorite Disney character: Olaf
9. Dream Job: travel agent
10. Favorite city you've traveled to for a basketball event: Rock Hill, South Carolina