This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Olivia Peterson. Olivia is a recent UW-Oshkosh commit. The talented 2023 Guard plays for Appleton West High School (WI) & played club hoops with Let It Rain 2023 Black. Thanks for your time Olivia!
1. You recently made your commitment to UW-Oshkosh. First of all, congratulations on verbal! Secondly, what were some of the factors that led you to choose Oshkosh and to play for Coach Fischer?
One of the biggest factors going into my commitment, was definitely the relationships I had with Coach Fischer and Coach Staples. They were always so welcoming and I love being around them. They have a winning culture and that’s something I wanna be apart of everyday, knowing we’re all there to make each other better and push each other. One really big aspect of my decision was also having my grandparents, parents, and family being able to come watch me play.
2. You joined Let It Rain for club basketball. Despite having a good season, the team played short-handed due to some injuries, but always played their hearts out. What were some of your favorite memories from this past club season with LIR?
As a team we had so much fun all the time. We were having fun while playing the sport we all love. The memories we have made will be forever in my heart, but I think the favorite memory was definitely our water gun in Iowa. We went around squirting random people at our tournament. We started out with one Squirt gun and by the end of the tournament we all had our own.
3. You were patient in the recruiting process and found a great home in Oshkosh. What advice would you give to younger players who may just be starting their own journey of being recruited?
I think the best advice I would give is build a relationship with the coaches and players. They’re who you’re going to be spending the next 4 years of your life with and they’re the ones that are going to be there for you. Go where you feel wanted. Also take lots of visits and ask a TON of questions!!
4. Last season Appleton West struggled a bit. This year, you have a large percentage of the core returning. What are some of your individual and team goals for your Senior season?
Our biggest goal as a team is just to be the best we can be. That doesn’t mean record though. We know where we are coming from and what our goals are. I think just to get in the gym and work as hard as possible for the time we’re there. Never make it easy for the other team. Some individual goals I have for myself are being the best teammate I can be on and off the court. Another one is just putting in work and getting ready for my next step in life at UWO.
5. Between club and High School basketball, a lot of your summer is committed to hoops. When you get a chance to get away from the court what were some of your favorite things you did this past summer?
Some of my favorite things to do outside of hoops is definitely going to the beach. I also love being around my friends and going on mini trips with my family.
1. Funniest teammate: Taylor Jacobson
2. Favorite visiting HS gym to play at: Kimberly
3. Biggest phobia: Ferris Wheels
4. Fastest teammate: Grace King
5. What do you hope to major in at Oshkosh: Business while at Oshkosh and then go to Fox Valley Tech for Interior Design.
6. Favorite teacher: Mr. Stepanski
7. Favorite hype song: Humble by Lil Baby
8. Favorite Disney character: Olaf or Nemo
9. Do you have any hidden talents: Not really haha
10. Favorite color: Carolina Blue