This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Jayci Rath, a talented 2026 from Stewartville High School (MN), who will be joining Minnesota Fury 2026 UAA in 2023. Thanks for your time Jayci!
1. You were recently at the Prep Girls Hoops Minnesota Freshman Showcase. What were some of your favorite things you worked on at the Showcase, and what are some of the things you learned that you'll take with you?
I loved getting the opportunity to play with and against different people. Playing good team basketball can be hard when you are playing with people you have never played with before but it is great to work on. Jake Sullivan spoke at the beginning, what stuck with me was that you shouldn’t compare yourself to others and everybody has their own “story”.
2. You were part of a Stewartville team that picked up 18 wins as an 8th grader. How do you see your role expanding this year and what are some of your personal and team goals for 2022-23?
After gaining experience on varsity as an 8th grader, I hope to bring more of a defensive presence and a scoring threat to the team this year. We have many great scorers returning to the team and I hope to help them find easier opportunities to score. As a team I hope to make it to state, if not further after our tuff loss in the section championship last year. We have potential to do great things this year.
3. You recently had a visit and tour at the University of Minnesota. As a top 2026 what are some of the things you're hoping to find in a school and basketball program?
I want to find a way to make basketball a career, whether that’s playing or coaching. It’s important to me that I find a coach who can help me learn on and off of the court. Finding a program and school that can help challenge me to become a better basketball player and person is essential.
4. You will be joining Minnesota Fury 2026 UAA this coming club season. How well do you know the other players already, and what are some of the things you're looking forward to most this coming club season?
I have great relationships with all of the girls on the MN Fury team already. I am very excited to get the opportunity to play with them and get to know them more this upcoming AAU season. I can’t help but mention how excited I am to have Blake Nicols and Maddie Wolkow as my coaches. They are great motivators and challenge me to get as much enjoyment out of the game as possible. I am also very excited to display my abilities on the UAA circuit.
5. Although you're involved in basketball nearly year-round, what are some of your favorite activities when you get a break away from the court?
To me, family is everything. When I am not playing basketball you can find me with my cousins and extended family. I have also been blessed with the opportunity to travel to many great places. Recently I traveled to Spain with my mom, step dad, and my two step siblings. I have an amazing relationship with both of my parents and I wouldn’t be where I am today without them.
1.Toughest player you've had to defend: Kate Amelotte
2.Funniest teammate: Callie Oakland
3.Favorite visiting High School gym to play at: Kasson-Mantorville
4.Favorite book: Unbroken
5.Favorite professional athlete: Joel Embiid
6.Favorite city you've traveled to for basketball: Hampton, Virginia
7.Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: Mint Chocolate Chip
8.Favorite Teacher: Mrs. Lentz
9.Last Google search: Stewartville Public Schools
10.Favorite season: Winter, basketball season!!