This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Lilia Donnelly. Lilia is a Freshman multi-sport standout at Horace High School (ND), who plays club basketball with Inspired Athletics. Thanks for your time Lilia!
1) You will get the chance this winter to be part of the 1st varsity Girls Basketball team at Horace High School (ND). What are some of your individual goals and team goals for the schools first varsity season?
My individual goals for the season are to work hard & be a leader. I want to be an aggressive defender and shoot with confidence from outside the parameter. For the team I want us to compete to win in practice everyday, to play with energy and have good communication. If we put our team goals above personal gains I think we will be successful.
2) You're currently a setter on the Volleyball team as well, how has that season been going so far for the Hawks?
We have had our challenges this season, but we are growing and learning a ton. We have a great coaching staff and our young team has lots of potential for a bright future.
3) You play with a club, Inspired Athletics, that is just coming onto the scene as some of it's young teams start to get a bit older. What are some of your favorite things about playing with Inspired Athletics, and what do you view as some of the benefits?
Playing for Inspired Athletics is like being with family. I have played with some of the girls for a number of years. Monty pushes us hard and I have learned resilience and how to trust the process. I've learned to play with physicality, pace, and speed all which have helped me in school ball.
4) Now that you've entered High School, you will see more and more interest from colleges. What are some of the things you think that will draw you towards a school academically and on the court?
When thinking about college, I would want to make sure I like the school and that it's a place where I would be happy regardless of sports. I would like to find a school where the coaches & teammates share the same values & mentalities I have.
5) When you're not playing volleyball or basketball, what are some of your favorite activities when you get some free time?
I enjoy snowboarding, going to the lake, and hanging out with friends.
1) Favorite High School gym (besides Horace): Davies
2) Toughest player you've had to guard: Sadie Mehrman
3) Best shooter you've played with: Addison Sage
4) Favorite Teacher: Mr. Olson
5) Favorite snack: Smoothies
6) Dream Job: Dermatologist or Design homes
7) Funniest teammate: Elise Foell
8) Dream vacation: Maldives
9) In a drill, everyone at Horace is going up for a rebound at the same time, who is going to come away with it: Jaiden Haile
10) More fun, basketball assist or volleyball assist: Tough choice! Any assist feels pretty awesome!