This edition of Five Questions & Quick Hitters is with Kierstin Kriewaldt of Freedom High School (WI) and Wisconsin Blaze 2023 Inferno. Kierstin is a 2023 who is closing in on choosing the right college program. Thanks for your time Kierstin!
1) You have been busy this summer and early fall on the recruiting trail, picking up several offers. As you've just begun your Senior year what are you looking for in a school, both academically and with the basketball program, and when are you hoping to make your decision?
I am looking for a school that fits both my academic and athletic wants. I would love a basketball program that has a family feel between the players and coaches, as well as a successful and competitive program. I am hoping to make my decision before my High School Basketball season starts.
2) You and your Wisconsin Blaze Inferno teammates had a good spring and summer of club basketball. What were some of your favorite memories from your club season, and club basketball in general?
I made a lot of great memories with my aau team this past season. Coach Lisa was a very fun and caring coach, who made every tournament a blast. My favorite memories include our team nail salon run, team yoga session, and team escape room.
3) Freedom had an amazing 28-2 season and finishing 2nd at the State Tournament in Division 3. With the bar raised very high, what are some of your individual goals as well as team goals heading into the 2022-23 season?
Although we had a very successful season last year, we are always working to improve every year. We have a very different dynamic of girls this coming season so I believe it will be very important for us to build our new team chemistry right away. I don’t think we will have a problem doing so because we have very welcoming girls and a great coaching staff/support system. It is always a goal of ours to win conference and do well in the postseason, but as of right now we are focused on taking it one game at a time.
4) A lot of players (yourself included) utilize Social Media in their recruiting. You have a direct link to your Hudl page within your Twitter account. What are some ways you try to use Social Media to reach out to, or stay in communication with, college coaches?
I believe social media is a great way to stay in contact with schools and coaches. I find it especially useful because I play softball and volleyball as well as basketball, so finding time for visits can be challenging. I have been in contact with schools I would have never known about if it wasn’t for social media.
5) Who are some of the role models in your life, and what are some of the things you've learned from them?
One of the biggest role models in my life is my dad. He has taught me that with hard work you can be successful and accomplish great things. Another one of my biggest role models is my mom. She has taught me to battle through the hard times, and to see the good in tough situations. My last biggest role model is Jim Bartels. Jim was my basketball coach growing up, and although he is an amazing basketball coach, I admire him for always believing in me and pushing me to my greatest potential. From Jim, I have learned so much on and off of the court.
1) Go-to snack: Ritz Cheese Crackers
2) Favorite Season: Winter (basketball season!)
3) Dream Vacation: Maldives
4) Favorite Zoo Animal: Giraffe
5) Favorite Class: Social Studies
6) Best restaurant in Freedom: Mama D's
7) What is the earliest book you remember: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
8) Favorite Sports Movie: Remember The Titans
10) Favorite Holiday: Christmas