This edition of Five Questions is with Kate McGinnis. We talk about the recent Wisconsin Flight Elite 2025 UAA season, Kimberly High School (WI) basketball and what is ahead in recruiting. Thanks for your time Kate!
1) You just concluded your season playing with Wisconsin Flight Elite 2025 EYBL on the Nike Circuit. What were some of your favorite memories from this past season?
One of my favorite memories would be sitting on the bench with my teammates and watching our 17U EYBL team win the Nike EYBL Session 2 17U Championship. Another memory I had was going to the WNBA All Star Game with one of my teammates while we were in a tournament in Chicago.
2) Playing on the Nike Circuit you undoubtedly had the chance to play in front of a lot of college coaches. What would you tell those coaches when they ask you what you're looking for in a school and basketball program?
I would tell college coaches that I’m looking for a basketball program that has a coaching staff that cares about their players both as an athlete and student. I’m looking for a culture where each player has high expectations for themselves and the team. Players who have a drive to get each other better. I’m looking for a team that builds relationships with one another and cares about each other, and an atmosphere that is energetic, competitive, and intense. I’m looking for a school that challenges me and gives me experiences and tools to prepare me for life after college.
3) You made a major impact as a Freshman, averaging over 8 PPG for Kimberly last season. What are some of your personal and team goals for the upcoming 2022-23 season?
Some team goals for my upcoming high school season would be building relationships with each other and being more connected as a team. Also working hard every day and having fun while doing so. Some personal goals would be bringing high energy every day to my teammates. I would also say slowing the game down by playing one possession at a time.
4) Besides your home court in Kimberly, what have been some of your favorite gyms to play in, either at Kimberly or with Flight Elite?
My favorite gym to play in is at Kaukauna High School. Kimberly and Kaukauna have been rivals for years, so the stands are always packed and the atmosphere is fun to play in.
5) Are there any older girls or women's basketball players that you admire, and what are some of the qualities in those players that you would like to emulate?
Kamy Peppler- She can shoot it or drive it. She also distributes the ball well which creates opportunities for her teammates as well as herself.
I want to be a player that creates for my teammates and whose defender doesn’t know how to guard me. Kamy is such a competitor. She never rests and always gives her best. I want to be that type of player.