This edition of Five Questions is with Jenna Hopp, who just wrapped up a stellar club career with Nebraska Attack 2023 UAA. The South Dakota State commit is a Senior this season at Glenwood High School (IA) and looking to return to the State Tournament. Thanks for your time Jenna!
1) You just wrapped up a long career playing with Nebraska Attack. What were some of your favorite memories from your years in the program?
Some of my favorite memories of playing for nebraska attack include playing versus boy teams when we were in 8th grade. I remember one specific game when the boy players started laughing at us when they saw who they were playing, but then we ending up beating them by 20+. Also playing in the UAA finals was unforgettable, the environment was so fun and the competition was really good.
2) It's been nearly a year already since you made your college commitment to SDSU. What were some of the things that helped you choose Brookings for school and playing for Coach Aaron Johnston?
One of the biggest reason why I chose South Dakota State was because the coaching staff had believed in me since day one. They had recruited me since freshman year. I knew I wanted to play for coaches that saw potential in me since the beginning.
3) As you get closer to attending SDSU have you made a choice on what your major will be and what you want to do for a career after your playing career ends?
I’m not exactly sure what I want to be, I know I want to go into the medical field for sure. South Dakota State has a great pharmacy program so that is something I’m definitely considering.
4) Last season at Glenwood High School you reached the State Tournament semi-finals at Wells Fargo. You will be the leader on a very young team this season. What are some of your individual goals and team goals for your Senior season?
My individual goals for this season are the same as my past season goals. I want to be a role model and leader for my teammates. Since we do have a younger team this season it’s even more important for me to set a good example. I feel like our team goal this year is gonna be building the chemistry with each other so we can play our best basketball by the end of the season. Like I said this is gonna be a young team but I believe we can still do some damage.
5) You've enjoyed a lot of success at both the club and High School levels. Throughout your playing career what have been your favorite places to play and what made those gyms special?
My favorite place I’ve place is easily Wells Fargo. I’ve had the opportunity to play there the past 3 seasons and every time I step onto that court is doesn’t get any less surreal. Nothing beats looking up at the Glenwood section and seeing most of the town there supporting us. Which you don’t see very often. We definitely have been blessed with a very supportive community.