This edition of Five Questions is with Kyla Hendricks. Kyla joins us after a busy month in recruiting. Multi-sport 2023 athlete from Bay Port High School (WI) who played club basketball with Wisconsin Purple Aces 2023 Hendricks. Thanks for your time Kyla!
1) In August, you have been busy with offers and visits including McKendree, Cardinal Stritch, Bemidji State and my hometown St Cloud State Huskies. As you head into your Senior year when are you hoping to make your college decision and what are you looking for in a school academically and on the court?
I was planning on making my decision in the middle of September to early October but, based on my visits and volleyball season coming up I have really started to narrow down my choices. Academically I am looking for the school to have a strong Pre-Dental and Biology program because I want to be a dentist! On the court I am looking for a team that has a good vibe and I feel that I will fit in with.
2) As you close in on a college choice, what is some of the best advice you've received during the recruiting process?
Some of the best advice I’ve gotten is “be selfish.” This allowed me to put my most important things on a list and check off for every school. With me being selfish I have tried to choose the best option for me that will benefit me.
3) You had a chance to play all over the Midwest this summer with Wisconsin Purple Aces 2023 Hendricks. What were some of your most memorable moments from this past season?
My most memorable moment was 1: going to the movie minions as a team, we had such a good time even though the movie wasn’t the best. 2: getting to win lots of games and tournaments to see the growth together and 3: knowing when my last game for AAU would be and just enjoying every single moment that encompassed the last 7 years of AAU.
4) You averaged 11 PPG as a Junior at Bay Port, and led the team by a wide margin in three pointers made. What are some of your individual and team goals for 2022-23?
As a team we will be a little bit different, a lot quicker defensively! This being said I want to fight for a place towards the top in the FRCC. For myself, my goal is to get first team FRCC and lockdown the other teams best offensive player.
5) You are a year-round athlete, competing in three sports at the High School level. What are some of the rewards you see and some of the challenges in playing 3 sports in addition to club basketball as well?
Some rewards I see is I am always conditioned and I am constantly working different muscle groups that will help with every sport I do. A challenge in doing all of that is sometimes the homework and project load gets to be a lot with team dinners and games going on also. This year I’m working to complete and clear my mind of all homework before any game so I can perform even better.