This edition of Five Questions is with Megan Schuman. Megan just committed to Winona State after finishing the club season with Wisconsin Purple Aces 2023 Grzesk and will graduate this year from Brillion High School (WI). Thanks for your time Megan!
1) You just made your college commitment to Winona State University. Congratulations, and what were some of the reasons you chose Winona?
I chose Winona because of the amazing coaching staff who I know will help me be successful at the next level. The nursing program is one of the best in the midwest. I can’t wait for the next four years and I’m super excited to be a Warrior!
2) You were one of the "veterans" on Wisconsin Purple Aces 2023 Grzesk, a team that also included a lot of 2024 players. You ladies enjoyed a ton of success, what was it like being one of the older players, and what were some of your favorite moments from this past season?
Towards the beginning of the season, it took a few games to adjust to a new playing style. Since I didn’t play with these athletes last year, I wasn’t used to the plays, expectations, and style. As the season went on, we were able to play more as a team which resulted in lots of success! Some of my favorite moments from the season came from the competitive games in the top brackets of each tournament. We got to play against some of the best athletes in the country which was super cool! I will greatly miss the players, coaches, and program!
3) You had a strong season again at Brillion individually as well as with a 24-4 team record. What are some things you're hoping to accomplish this year, both for yourself, and for your team?
I have many goals for this upcoming season. Personally, I want to grow each day as a player and person in order to prepare myself for the next level. As a team, we are hoping to advance farther into playoffs then last year and hopefully to make an appearance at state!
4) You've played on many courts during your career in club basketball and with Brillion, where are some of your favorite places to play and what makes them special?
My favorite place to play is by far Brillion High School! The fans always bring such high energy to the games. I always feel so much support when those in the Brillion community come and support me and my team while we play! On the AAU circuit, my favorite place was the Chicago Tournament of Champs. The atmosphere was awesome and it always brings in great competition!
5) Who are some of the players that are older than you that you've admired as players, and what qualities would you like to take from them?
One player who I have always looked up to is Mary Berghuis, Southern Illinois Alumni. She has set many, many records and was inducted into the SIU hall of fame. Mary was one of the best athletes to ever walk the halls of Brillion High. Now, she is still improving the world of women’s basketball by coaching young players like me. One day, I hope to give back to my community and help others achieve their dreams just like she does everyday!