This edition of Five Questions is with Kadence Hesse. Kadence is a 2024 commit to Southwest Minnesota State who plays club basketball with Minnesota Rise and will be a Junior this season at Sleepy Eye High School (MN). Thanks for your time Kadence!
1) You're coming off a stellar season with Minnesota Rise 2024 Purfeerst. What are some of your favorite memories of the season and what were some of things you learned while playing for a college coach in Emma Purfeerst?
Most of my favorite memories of this rise season happened behind the scenes. I had a blast creating relationships with my team during practices and in between games. We all got along so well and we’re able to find ways to keep the mood light while still improving our game. I learned so much from Emma this year! I think she helped me play a more relaxed game as a player. She gave me opportunities to score best she could, but also helped me understand how much I could do when I couldn’t get going offensively as much. That overall let me play without as much pressure and just enjoy the season.
2) You still have two seasons of High School basketball left, but you've already locked in your college choice. You have verballed to Head Coach Tom Webb and the SMSU Mustangs. What were some of the factors that went into your decision?
To me the decision of committing to SMSU was easy. We started going to games more frequently after I got my offer and more I could see myself playing on that court. I loved the atmosphere and the size of the school. My biggest factor, however, of committing was easily Coach Webb. He is a coach who just understands. He understands the game, obviously, but he also understands me and how I play which is an amazing thing to me. He made SMSU feel so much like home !
3) At Sleepy Eye High School there has been a lot of success in recent years. You'll be heading into your Junior season, you've already scored over 1,000 points as well, what are some of your individual goals and team goals for the 2022-23 season?
For the 2022-23 season my biggest team goal is probably to get to state and be top of our conference. Both of which are very achievable as long as we all put in the work ! Individually I have many goals. My biggest is probably becoming our schools all time scoring leader, but also smaller ones like becoming a great leader for our younger players to be able to depend on and be encouraged by.
4) Besides your home court in Sleepy Eye, what have been some of your favorite gyms to play, either at the High School or club level?
I really enjoy playing at St Peter for playoffs because of how bright it was and that it was big but it didn’t feel crowded while playing. I also loved being able to play at SMSU since that’s where I’ll be for the next four!
5) What is the best piece of advice you received in recruiting and what is the advice that you would give to younger players who are maybe trying to figure out what to do with some of the interest they're getting?
The best piece of advice I received during recruiting was to not pick the level you want to play at because of what people say you could play at. As a player I probably could of went to a division 1 school, but it wouldn’t of fit me as well as a person and player. To younger players my advise is to pick a program that you feel wanted and that fits you best, no matter what level it is! At the end of the day, you know you best so trust yourself and you will make the best decision!