This edition of Five Questions is with Katelyn Maciej. Katelyn is a Senior this season at Rogers High School (MN) who just completed her club season with Minnesota Stars 2023 Hersch and will attend Minnesota State-Moorhead as a 2023 commit. Thanks for your time Katelyn!
1) You just completed your club basketball career with Minnesota Stars 2023 Hersch. When you look back on the last few years, what are some of your favorite memories of your time with Minnesota Stars?
Some of the pre and post game talks with Coach Josh have meant a lot to me and helped me as a player. I’ve had a teammate whose birthday was always when we were on the road, so some of the places we went to celebrate were awesome. One I will always remember is when we were in Chicago and it took 2 and half hours to find a bakery to get a cake and then by the time we got it we didn’t have a plan so we sat and sang happy birthday and ate cake in a Chicago hotel lobby at 11 at night.
2) You recently committed to Minnesota State-Moorhead as part of what looks like an outstanding 2023 recruiting class for the Dragons. What were some of the things that drew you to Coach Nelson for basketball and Moorhead as a school?
I’ve heard great things about Coach Nelson and have seen the strong winning culture of the program. Also the coaching staff, specifically Coach Swenson, and their support for the players both on and off the court. I also have family in Fargo, so knowing they could come watch me play means a lot.
3) Last season you were part of a special year at Rogers, going 26-3 before falling to rival St Michael-Albertville in the 8AAAA Championship Game. What are some of your team goals as well as personal goals for the upcoming season in trying to repeat that high level of play?
Well, obviously we want to beat STMA and go to the state tournament. But Rogers has had 4 high school coaches in the last 4 years, so we really want to build off of what we started last year and continue to play against the tough teams and be able to come out on top. Personally, I want to play some more outside game this season, similar to what I play in AAU.
4) Playing in the Northwest Suburban Conference you've gotten to play at several classic gyms and countless more on your travels with Minnesota Stars. Besides your home court in Rogers, what are some of your favorite places to play at?
Rock Hill South Carolina is my definite favorite, they had an area that we got to play in that was so cool. A couple other places like Chicago and Kentucky were cool, just the sheer number of courts was impressive.
5) With your individual and team success at Rogers, there are probably many young players looking up to you as a role model. What advice would you give the younger players that are just beginning their basketball journeys?
Don’t get discouraged, I got concussed my first year, and didn’t get a lot of playing time my second. Next thing I know I’m a sophomore and starting. Put in the work and control what you can control, your attitude, your effort and your hustle.