This round of Five Questions is with Stella Charleston. Stella is a 5'8" 2023 Guard from Southeast Polk HS in Iowa and just completed her club season with Lady Pure Prep 2023. Averaged 11 PPG and hit threes at a near 40% clip last season at Southeast Polk. Thanks for your time Stella!
1) You recently completed your final season of club basketball, with Lady Pure Prep 2023. What were some of your personal favorite moments from this past season and what were some of your all-time favorite club basketball memories?
Pure prep was a fun experience, competing in tournaments I hadn’t played in before, team dinners in different cities, the chance to grow my game, and getting to compete against old teammates and current ones at SEP. The memories I have made over the years in all programs will never be forgotten! In particular I love spending time with my teammates at the Mall of America in between games. Traveling with my parents across the country for tournaments will always hold a special spot in my heart as well!
2) You're a catch and shoot lefty sniper off the wings. What are some of the areas that you've focused on in your training to make you such a lethal shooter from the arc?
I shoot hundreds of shots consistently. I work on a fast release and also take multiple steps back from the arc in order to extend my range. I also shoot off the pass in order to simulate actual game situations; in some instances I have people run at me. This has helped me have such a quick release.
3) You're still open in your recruiting. What are some things you're looking for in a school and when do you hope to make your final decision on where you'll attend?
I’m looking for a college that will allow me to do what I do best: shoot! I also rely heavily on the relationship I have with the coaches. If I'm gonna go somewhere for 4 years, I want to really like my coaches. I also want a school that has high academics and my degree specifically. The goal is to make my decision in September or October. But honestly it could happen before or after that!
4) You attend Southeast Polk, traditionally one of the strongest programs in Iowa. What do you what to accomplish individually and as a team in your Senior season?
The obvious goal is making it to state. Getting to play on the biggest stage of one’s high school career is so cool! I’ve been able to experience the environment at the Wells two out of the three years that I’ve been at Southeast Polk and it was crazy cool. Individually I want to continue to grow my game in every aspect and maybe break my single game 3-point record of 10 threes!
5) Besides your home gym in Pleasant Hill, what have been some of your favorite gyms to play in and what them special to you?
For sure my favorite is Wells Fargo! Its such a cool experience when your student body comes out to support you! In AAU, I really enjoy playing in the Minnesota high schools, as the environment is always hype. Chicago was also a very fun place to play because of the noise and number of courts!