Today our Five Questions are with Bria Wasmund, a Junior at Sibley-Ocheyedan High School in Iowa who plays AAU ball with All Iowa Attack. Thanks to Bria for taking the time to join us!
1) This past summer you were with All Iowa Attack 10th Red. What were some of your favorite moments of this past AAU season?
Some of my favorite moments from last season were practices because you knew that once you got in the gym you were going to get pushed towards your full potential. Our team's chemistry grew really well throughout the year making the season not only purposeful but enjoyable as well.
2) You're part of a very deep Sophomore group at Sibley-Ocheyedan, what has it been like to play varsity as a group from a younger age and develop together as a team where underclassmen play such a prominent role?
As a team, playing together from a young age allows our team the ability to pick each other up when someone is having an off day. There have been a lot of learning moments that we've had throughout the season. Our team motto this year was UBUNTU which means "I am because We are". This motto for our season played a huge role in our success.
3) Last HS Season you had a good regular season before falling in the Region Quarterfinals. What are some of the things your Sibley-Ocheyedan squad will need to do to make a deeper post-season run?
The quarterfinal game came down to a couple of unfocused possessions. As a team, we need to fine-tune not only our skills on the court but our mindset around the game of basketball. If we are able to do these things, we will definitely find a deeper post-season run.
4) You're still open in your recruiting. What are you looking for in recruiting and how will you know when you find the right school for yourself?
In regards to recruiting, I am looking for a school that fits not only my athletic needs but also my personal growth needs as well as academic and career options. It is important to me that my school not only see a purpose for me but for me to find my purpose in life while attending.
5) You've been a varsity starter since you were a Freshman. Do you have any personal goals or milestones that you're hoping to achieve?
Since 5th grade our team has had a goal to turn the Sibley-Ocheyedan girls basketball program around. Now that we have accomplished that, our ultimate goal is to make it to the state tournament. As a player on the team, I would like to see my averages of 12 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, with 3 steals per game increase as our team successes continue to grow.